We must realize the stronger our spirit, the more bold, focused and decisive we become, we are more able to receive from the Lord, it's easier to do things, easier it is to resist the curse, we can overcome anything and it is easier to do life. We build up our body and our mind but we must also build up our spirit.
Proverbs 18:14 The strong spirit of a man sustains him in bodily pain or trouble, but a weak and broken spirit who can raise up or bear? AMP
With a weak spirit a believer cannot bear up under bodily pain and trouble and will draw all bad things to them. A weak spirit will speak doubt and unbelief and shut the door to the good things of the Lord and His supernatural.
How can we tell if we have a weak spirit?
Ezekiel 16:30 How weak is thine heart, saith the Lord GOD, seeing thou doest all these things,… KJV
What are those things? Things not to do.
When a person goes to a doctor and the doctor doesn't know what to do they check the person's vital signs. We have to check our own vital signs because there are spiritual vital signs that indicate a weak spirit. If those vital signs are not detected then we will look for outward conciliation for something that is inward, something we have to go to the Word and find out and start feeding on the Word and strengthen our spirit.
Let's check our vital signs to see what is wrong that makes our spirit is weak.
- Weak spirit - attitude begins to slip and we are physically tired we speak negative words.
- Weak spirit - become agitated by the words of others and starts unloading on that person whatever we feel like saying.
- Weak spirit - things are affecting us and that is a sign our spirit is weak. (If things are not going the way we think they should we can pray in the spirit and get God's perspective and then do and say what He said.)
- Weak spirit - being overwhelmed and making much over something little and mountains of mere molehills. Can't seem to handle simple things. Need to take a higher vantage point.
Psalm 61:2 …when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. KJV
Proverbs 24:10 If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. KJV
Proverbs 24:10 If you faint in crisis, you are weak. GWT
Proverbs 24:10 If you fall to pieces in a crisis, there wasn't much to you in the first place. MSG
We stay strong on the Word and that will bring us over to the place of being an overcomer instead of things overcoming us. Being strong gives us another perspective. Jesus told us we will have tribulation BUT He told us He had overcome it for us. We have to have that perspective.
- Weak spirit - just cave when there is too much to do or so little time to get things done but when our spirit is strong nothing seems impossible. The key is keeping our spirit strong in the Word and doing what it says, obeying it, walking in love, and speaking the truth.
Jesus had a strong spirit and He never caved when confronted by the religious leaders or when He knew it was the time for Him to be crucified. Being strong in His spirit He was always able to see and hear what the Father wanted Him to say and do and He did it. He was never overwhelmed because He was always in control of the situations at all times.
The stronger we are the easier things become. When we look at our day and when our spirit is strong then we will see it in a different light than before and then we will have a different perspective of our life.
We need to keep building ourselves up with the Word of God, putting it before our eyes and in ears and coming out of our mouths and then we can face anything with God's perspective and have victory.
- Weak spirit - being hopeless. None of us should be hopeless because what Jesus has done for us has brought us out of all hopelessness. Hopelessness is a lack of joy in our lives and sign our spirit is not strong. Feeling hopeless, our strength is small and we are giving in to the conditions around us.
Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire is fulfilled, it is a tree of life. AMP
Hope deferred makes the spirit sick, weakens the spirit. Faith can't be deferred because it is right now. If we are hoping things are going to turn around then it is deferred hope and we have not taken or received what we believed when prayed. Expectation has to be developed and then we have received it.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for or expected. Hope is earnest expectation with our neck outstretched, looking for the things that belong to us. We must live with expectation all the time. The stronger our spirit the greater our expectations will be and the quicker they will come to pass.
- Weak spirit - being self-centered. Being self-centered we think about ourselves and there is no compassion for others and we have a victim mentality and it's always someone else's fault.
Romans 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. KJV
With a weak spirit then we are self-centered and can't help others
- Weak spirit - being complacent, indifferent or indecisive, get locked up and don't know what to do, confused, can't see which way to go; but a strong spirit will focus us, have an intense focus and understanding and wisdom that will come and show us what to do.
Romans 4:20-21 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; 21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. KJV
So the stronger we are we will be bold, more focused and decisive, know what to do and what God has called and told us to do.
- A weak spirit believes wrong and talks wrong and this opens the door to every curse out there and shuts the door to the supernatural. We must believe and speak The Blessing because if we are not believing and speaking The Blessing then we have nothing to divert the curse.
3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. KJV
The degree of success we experience is directly connected to the condition of our spirit; because out of our spirit or heart the mouth speaks. So if we are beat down in our spirit then we will speak unbelief, doubt and worry and speak things like, "I'm never going to get out of this," thus allowing the devil and fear to come in but we can stop this by building up our spirit with the Word and releasing that out of our mouths instead.
- Being short tempered is another indicator of a weak spirit. A weak spirit, the person gives in and they are easily offended, touchy, overly sensitive and out of control and they let anything come out. Anger and rage is a sign of a weak spirit, there is no control over the flesh.
Proverbs 16:32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city. KJV
So the person who rules his spirit is greater than any military force that can take a city. The opposite is to take offense, get negative, give up.
When we sense we are being overcome we should get in the Word, stay in communion with the Spirit of God and get others to pray with us and for us.
- Weak spirit - being fearful, panicking, anxious.
Job 4:5 But now when trouble strikes, you lose heart. You are terrified when it touches you. KJV
We cannot allow fear, panic and anxiety in our lives. We must refuse to fear. When our spirits are strong then fear cannot touch us, we will not react to fear but we will walk in faith. The stronger we are then the more fear free we will live and the more spirit controlled we become.
- Exhausted, tired, weary, stressed out, drained, inability to resist or receive.
2 Corinthians 4:1 THEREFORE, SINCE we do hold and engage in this ministry by the mercy of God…, we do not get discouraged (spiritless and despondent with fear) or become faint with weariness and exhaustion. AMP
We daily stay strong on the Word of God and in communion with the Holy Spirit and take our stand of faith every day and don't wait till desperate things happen.
The stronger we are, the stronger we are.
We are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- A weak spirited person hears a testimony of a victory of another believer and they say, "That never happens to me." A strong spirited person says, "That happens to me all the time." Our strength on the inside changes our mental images to victory outcomes.
So how can we develop and strengthen our spirit so our spirit does not weaken? By feeding on the Word of God, praying in the spirit and maintaining communion with the Holy Spirit. As we read the Word of God and speak it as well, we will energize our spirit. Physical sleep and physical rest without the Word of God will not energize alone because the Word of God is alive and full of power and energizing. The Word is life, health, healing and medicine to all of our flesh.